The job holder must screen incoming documentation and information from a variety of sources (public counters, mail, phone calls, etc.) to organize and track visa requests accordingly to a relatively complicated set of laws and procedures so that the Consular Officer or another adjudicating official can make decisions and ensure that the legal requirements of the application have been met.
Procedures are generally standard and policies are clearly defined. The employee receives work assignments and tasks according to standard operating procedures and then inputs relevant data into an established process. This includes printing visas and filing and tracking the status of cases through a computerized process.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Good working knowledge of internal Embassy operating procedures as well as requirements for a wide range of non-immigrant and immigrant visas.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two (2) years of administrative/government services/office/consular work in a customer service position involving contact with the public.
Education Requirements: Two years of College or University studies is required. ( Proof of education must be submitted with the application – transcript of at least two years of college or university-level studies or diploma);
LANGUAGE: Level 4 (Fluent) of Georgian is required; Level 4 (Fluent) of English is required; Level 4 (Fluent) of Russian is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Communication skills: Ability to calm agitated customers and explain complex laws and regulations to non-experts. Planning skills and teamwork: Ability to schedule complex activities 6 months in advance without adversely affecting other duties. Independent use of personal computer/workstation, scanner, printer, web camera/camera, and specialized passport reader and bar code scanner. Able to use MS Office.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Copy of Passport or local ID
- Proof of Education (Transcripts or Diploma)
For Non-Georgian citizens only:
- Residency Permit
Benefits: Agency Benefits:
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Tbilisi may receive a compensation package that may include health insurance package; 13 months bonus, UCWA, DCF.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.