5 Levels of Leadership: How to use the basic concept. 5 levels of leadership are described in his book by John Maxwell. This is a real guide on how to grow from a mediocre boss to a leader who is inspired and admired. What level are you at? Know how to go to the next? Our article will help you figure this out.
Leader of the first level. Position
The first level is only formal leadership by virtue of position and authority. Talent, experience, performance – here it does not play any role.
If the formal leader does not plan to develop and move to the next levels, he transfers this formalism to relations with his wards.
He has a clear distinction between his employees and himself: I am the boss, they are my subordinates. The leader of the first level does not try to get closer to his employees (it is difficult to say “with his team”). The place of personal human communication is occupied by the labor code, work schedule and other purely formal things.
Employees do what they should. No less, but no more. In such a team, they are unlikely to have enthusiasm and initiative. Workers will begin to relate to their activities as formally and soullessly.
Often, first-level leaders abuse their powers: “I am your boss. Do what I say. ” Of course, such a person does not cause sympathy among employees.
5 Levels of Leadership: How to use the basic concept. Let’s summarize the characteristics of a first-level leader:
- He does not value people.
- Not ready for change, not in love with them.
- Inclined to micromanagement.
- Where he works, a constant staff turnover.
5 Levels of Leadership: How to use the basic concept. To move to the next level he needs:
- Say “thanks” to those who made him a leader.
- To start thinking about yourself not as a boss, but as a leader – the one who will lead people along.
- Start evolving and getting better day by day.
- Start communicating with your colleagues not only on topics related to work.
- Learn to admit that he doesn’t know something. This is normal.
- Identify the role he plays in the company. What can he – a leader do for her?
5 Levels of Leadership: The leader of the second level. Relations
The second-level leader perceives his employees not as soulless robots fulfilling the work plan, but as people. Those like himself, with problems and weaknesses, with individual characteristics and personal virtues.
The leader of the second level strengthens interpersonal relations in the team, due to which his employees are more motivated and friendly. A warm, friendly and trusting atmosphere in the team leads to increased efficiency.
Characteristics of the leader of the second level:
- Trusts people.
- Values each employee as a person.
- Actively communicates with all employees.
- Seeks to create a favorable atmosphere in the team.
But there are also disadvantages: often such leaders sit on the neck or do not take seriously at all, they consider them soft-bodied. Second-level leadership is difficult for introverts.
To go to the next level you need:
- Start living in harmony with yourself.
- Praise your team members at least once a week.
- Learn to enjoy work.
- To find time for communication with the team.
- Learn to be the inspirer of the rest of the staff.
5 Levels of Leadership: The leader of the third level. Productivity
The second level is just the beginning of the journey. A favorable atmosphere is not enough.
The leader of the third level is always involved in the work process. He is a professional. He is the initiator. He is the one who solves the most difficult problems. He leads and sets an example.
Characteristics of third-level leaders:
- They are productive and inspire others to be productive.
- They do not delegate every problem. They themselves know how to solve them.
- They create strong and united teams.
But this is not the limit. For the next level they need:
- Learn to understand how strong each individual employee is.
- Discuss the company’s mission with the team.
- Create situations of success.
- Analyze teamwork, give praise, make plans.
- Do not forget about the second level: productivity is important, but people are more important.
LOOKING for a JOB? Follow me.
Let’s help each other out! “We cannot help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
Follow us on Facebook: New-Opportunities
5 Levels of Leadership: Leader of the fourth level. Development
The leader of the fourth level changes the life of his employees. At the fourth level, the leader is engaged not only in work, but also in the development of his wards. The leader of the fourth level brings up new leaders in his team.
- It focuses on the growth and development of employees.
- It does not suffer from perfectionism.
- It does not strive to be the only leader.
- It helps to become leaders for other employees.
- The process values above the result.
5 Levels of Leadership: Fifth level leader. Vertex
This level is not for everyone. Fifth-level leaders go beyond their position, company, or even industry. It is best to quote Maxwell himself:
“The goal of a fifth-level leader is not just to do the work or to make people follow him, but to grow new leaders who will inspire and lead people. Fifth-level leadership is not a job, but a life-long affair. ”
Tips for Level Five Leaders:
- Be an example.
- Create a circle of people who will support each other and motivate development.
- Help potential fifth-level leaders.
- Leave the top spot for other fifth-level leaders.
In our opinion, every leader and in general every person who wants to lead people should strive for fifth-level leadership. Of course, this requires serious work and time, but the result is worth it. And what exactly needs to be done to become a class leader, you will learn from our course ” Leadership: lessons from an effective leader .”
We wish you success!