How to Pass an Interview: We all periodically look for work and go through interviews. Even freelancers who do not work in offices, it is important to have such skills.
This article was prepared for the site by an experienced HR specialist. You will learn how to properly pass an interview when applying for a job so that you are accepted or given an order. What can and cannot be done. How to prepare for an interview and much more.
- What is an interview and what is it for?
- 7 Tips How to Pass an Interview
- Types of interviews and their features
- How to prepare for an interview?
- How to successfully get a job interview?
- What is the best way to do remote interviews?
What is an interview and what is it for?
An interview is what any employee faces in finding a new place. By the way, in European practice it is customary: even having a good job, a person goes through interviews at other companies a couple of times a year to know their “price” in the market.
An interview is, at the same time:
- Negotiations on the terms of mutually beneficial cooperation.
- Initial assessment of the specialist by the employer.
- Acquaintance of the applicant with the working conditions, place, leader, colleagues, which helps him make a rational decision on employment.
As a rule, in the process of hiring candidates, they go through several interviews. This is a normal practice, which sometimes raises questions from applicants.
7 Tips How to Pass an Interview
For example, at first, the recruiter will talk with 15 candidates by phone, of which 6 will invite you to an in-person meeting or interview on Skype (in case of remote work). In fact, 4 candidates will come for an interview. According to the results, they will choose 2, with whom the head will already communicate. As a result, one employee will be selected. If all 15 people are immediately called for an interview, there will be an extra waste of time for both the manager and the applicants.
Types of interviews and their features
To figure out how best to get an interview at work, you need to learn about the types of such meetings. It is important to understand where you are invited and for what purpose.
|Type of interview||Content||Features|
|Structured||Three-part conversation (personal data, work experience, motives for finding a new place).||A common type of interview.|
|Situational||The interviewer (recruiter, manager) describes the situation and offers the applicant to find a way out of it.||It is used for specialists with great variability of actions based on deep theoretical knowledge (lawyers, doctors, managers, etc.).|
|Projective interview||The applicant is asked to complete the project (write an article, develop a logo, etc.) and then discuss it.||Ethics requires that the project be the same for everyone, either paid for or not take a lot of time. Otherwise, it may become a form of covert exploitation.|
|By competency||A list of the most relevant competencies for the position is selected.||Questions are usually asked in the form “How do you support the battery?”, “What tools do you use to evaluate the counterparty’s solvency?”.|
|Group (several applicants)||May include a questionnaire, a story about a job and an employer, etc.||Massive positions or highly competitive positions.|
|Group (several representatives of the employer)||An interview with several colleagues and managers at once, with whom you will have to interact.||Thus, final interviews can be held at positions significant for the company.|
|Technical interview||Performing immediate functions.||For example, the operator 1C can directly give an invoice and ask for it. Test the practical skills of the applicant.|
|Exam||They offer tests, questions or cases.||The employer must warn that this form will be applied.|
|Stressful||A role situation is played out in which the applicant is under pressure.||It is rarely used in Russia, mainly for highly stressful areas of activity.|
|Assessment Center||Assessment by an independent team of experts.||Rarely, to top positions.|
Any of these forms of interviews can be in real life or remotely (Skype, WhatsApp, etc.).
How to prepare for an interview?
When looking for a job, you need to prepare for an interview, as well as for any business meeting. Despite the fact that some modern employers conduct interviews in an informal setting (cafes, coworking , skype, work, etc.), etiquette and selection principles do not change.
The interview implies exclusively the business style of the job seeker. But the idea of this is different:
- For men, a classic (shirt, tie, suit) in today’s reality is required only for top positions. For other positions, the style of “Steve Jobs” (jeans, turtleneck, shirt without a tie) or casual is quite possible.
- Women should also adhere to a business style. Elegant “weekend” clothes or many stylish accessories are more likely to be pushed away at the interview. Not “scientifically”, but a fact: according to statistics, interviews with ladies in gray clothes or with elements of this color are more successful. In cosmetics, it is better to adhere to minimalism.
Important! All clothing should be perfectly clean, fresh haircut, good deodorant (but not “strong” perfume!), Polished shoes. It is better to exclude elaborate and “controversial” elements in clothes.
Life hack, how to successfully pass an interview: doubt your style – open the company’s website. In almost any of them you can see photos of employees. Dress similarly (+/-) – the chances of being “on the same wavelength” will increase.
2. Preparing a story about yourself
At the interview you may be asked to tell about yourself. It is better to prepare in advance and rehearse a small speech. The most significant thing that a potential employer wants to hear is details about work experience (in detail, with a description of all labor functions) and expectations from a new place.
A typical mistake of applicants during an interview is when they answer (and write in a resume !) “According to the job description”, “Ordinary duties of a sales manager”, “Everything is like everywhere …”.
In organizations, the same position can be interpreted in completely different ways. Suppose a sales manager implies a huge number of nuances:
- Incoming client or search?
- Cold base or warm?
- Came to zero battery or finished?
- How many positions were in the sold item? And much more.
How to tell about your functions during the interview:
- List the specific functionality that you are able to perform.
- Indicate at what level: under control, independently, with subsequent coordination; all the way to meeting with top officials and making a decision.
- Clarify how much function is involved: battery of 10 clients or 100, large or small business, 3 meetings per day or per month.
- How did the professional development go: not only by job title, but also by functional, indicating whether it developed independently within the profile, adopted the experience of colleagues, was engaged in advanced training?
- Consistent comparison of the starting position and the result for each place of work: for example, I came to the battery with 30 clients, for the year I reached 50.
- Indicate – why did you leave each enterprise?
- The following is a structured list of what you want to get from your new job.
Important! It is worth reflecting even the experience that is not recorded in your workbook. Freelance, part-time work, volunteering, a student, internships, GPA services are no less significant for the employer than the official place of work.
Personally, it’s worth communicating the main and brief information (place of residence, marital status, being in the process of education, children, etc.).
3. To think over answers to questions of the employer
Read more about the insidious and personal questions of employers in the article, how to answer questions at the interview . We recommend reading it.
Additionally, we give general recommendations:
- Feel free to clarify if you do not understand the essence of the issue.
- Rehearse the answers to those groups of questions that may emotionally hurt or hinder you.
- Freelancers need to prepare answers to standard customer questions that are usually asked in negotiations.
4. Consider asking your employer
Make a list of important questions in advance that you will ask at the interview. Keep a notebook on hand. Do not hesitate to make notes that arise during communication with a recruiter. You can ask questions at the end. Interruption is not worth it.
- Traditionally, the interviewer first asks the interviewer questions.
- Then he will ask the applicant to ask.
- The most important thing to learn is a detailed description of the functionality.
According to the working conditions, it makes sense to set important moments for you in the format: “Is the beginning of the working day at 8 am – is this a subject to be discussed?”, “Is the preparation of this document daily – is this the principal position of the employer or is he ready to discuss my proposals?”
Financial issues are discussed at the end. Different functional responsibilities and agreed terms will have different “prices”. Therefore, there is only one rule – first the content of the work, and then its payment.
In the job description, the “from and to” frames are already indicated. If it was written – “by agreement”, then boldly voice your wishes. But be prepared to justify them with a specific value for the employer. “This is not enough for me because I have a mortgage of 20 thousand” – the employer is not interested.
What else needs to be done before the interview?
- Try to collect the maximum information about the employer before applying for a job.
- When making an appointment, specify not only the time and address but also the contact person, “signs” of orientation on the ground, access control, availability of parking, etc.
- If you agree by phone and cannot record, ask to send you an SMS with the address, name of the recruiter and time, or call back later and write down all the information.
- Take with you all the necessary documents (passport, diplomas, certificates, if any – a workbook, etc.).
- Try to arrive for an interview in advance to find where to park, navigate the area, etc.
- If you are late – warn by phone.
- Take off your outer clothing.
How to successfully get a job interview?
At the first stage, a 10-minute telephone conversation will take place. During it, you will be voiced the essence of the duties and conditions of the vacancy. They will clarify the significant moments of your experience and personal data (for example, place of residence). If a coincidence occurs, they invite you to an in-person meeting. Specify the form, what to prepare for – for example, for a structured interview or for an exam?
At the meeting, sit down where you are invited. Typically, when applying for a job, the interview lasts 30-60 minutes (the higher the qualifications, the longer). But it is better to clarify the expected duration in advance. Further, mutual representation, questions of the recruiter, answers of the applicant and dialogue are provided.
The results summarize whether everything sounded, which was important for both parties.
Traditionally, they don’t give an answer directly at the interview (except for the most “lower” posts). You will be additionally contacted if the choice falls on your candidacy. They will clarify whether you have considered the proposal, whether you are ready to go to work or go through the next stage.
In the final interview (with the manager or owner), communication may be longer.
If the decision is negative, the employer has the right not to tell you anything.
A gentleman’s term for feedback is 3 business days. If you are not contacted, then the answer is no. But you can call and clarify.
What is the best way to conduct an interview?
- Try to be open and calm, speak loudly enough.
- Avoid closed poses. If it’s difficult to control gestures, take a folder with documents or a tablet with a resume with two hands.
- Smile, demonstrate friendliness, an equal footing.
What can push an employer out during a meeting?
We will analyze the errors that interfere with a successful job interview:
- Extremes: arrogance or fawning. The conversation is better to conduct in the spirit of “win-win”.
- The narrowness of thinking, inflexibility: “it should be only this way and nothing else.”
- The applicant’s story about his life difficulties and focus on negative experiences.
- The position of the “victim”, which was “offended” by employers and colleagues.
- Lack of motivation and professional interests.
- Unrealistic expectations that do not match the labor market and skill level.
What should I ask at the interview?
- Why did the previous employee leave?
- How long did he work?
- What is the current state of affairs?
- Will there be a transfer of documents and information from a previous employee or will the immediate supervisor do this?
- If the position is new, is the functionality finally defined for it, or will we figure it out on the fly?
- How will it be determined that you have successfully passed the trial period?
What can not be done at the interview?
- Try not to smoke before the interview.
- Do not start with requirements and wishes, first listen to a recruiter or leader.
- Go through all the stages without resenting or trying to jump. Often, applicants are dismissive of the first “steps”, stating that they are not interested in answering the questions of the recruiter, they will only speak with the first person. Once the employer has decided that he needs such a “sieve”, then this must be adhered to.
- Do not pour on the interlocutor all the negative accumulated by you earlier. Better focus on positive experiences and perspectives.
What is the best way to do remote interviews?
Most of the principles and rules for a remote interview are the same as for a meeting in real life. Difficulties, as a rule, are associated only with the technical conditions for providing communications (camera, headset, communications).
Try to check the operation of gadgets and programs in advance.
Stock up on safety options (for example, a phone that can be connected as a modem if the connection is lost, charging in case of a long conversation).
Remove all random and distracting objects from the camera’s “field of view”.
For the rest, follow the rules and tips described above. They will help you successfully pass an interview and get a job.
We figured out how to get an interview when hiring. We hope our tips will help you find a good job and successfully resolve the issue of employment!
Let’s help each other out! “We cannot help everyone, but everyone can help someone.