Software Engineer- Data & Production Backend About this job
Software Engineer- Data & Production Backend. Job description
Do you fret over consistency versus availability guarantees? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? That’s what we do! You might have heard of one of our open source projects like PaasTA, rel=”nofollow”>software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp.
Our engineers continuously deploy hundreds of microservices responsible for running our application to thousands of machines across our cloud-based infrastructure.
Software Engineer- Data & Production Backend. Where You Come In:
- Design, build, and deploy systems that run 24/7 at ever increasing scale
- Develop tools and automate processes to find answers to challenging questions and reveal the unknown
- Write code and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers
- Support the infrastructure and software your team develops
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
Software Engineer- Data & Production Backend. What it Takes to Succeed:
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems, e.g., Kafka, Flink, Cassandra, Kubernetes, and Elasticsearch
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, and networking
- Experience using and operating Linux is ideal
- Fluency in Python, Java, Scala, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- Understanding of configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible) and monitoring (e.g., Nagios, Sensu, Prometheus)
- Exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Experience working with and contributing to open source projects
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
Software Engineer- Data & Production Backend. What You’ll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more! #Software Engineer-Data & Production Backend
To apply for this job please visit stackoverflow.com.