The Top 10 jobs that will see the largest permanent increase in remote working
Any person with a remote-capable job most likely hasn’t seen an office space since March, when the coronavirus pandemic turned a high percentage of the workforce into full-time teleworkers.
While some professionals have returned to their office as reopenings occur around the country, companies like Twitter and Quora have announced that their employees will continue working remotely for good.
If this sounds like music to you ears, and you can’t ever picture yourself inside an office again, you need to take a look at the top 10 professions that have had the largest permanent increase in remote working.
An April Conference Board survey reported that less than 10% of companies had more than 20% of their employees working from home before the pandemic took over our daily lives.
With that being said, there has been a major shift towards favoring full-time remote work as a result of the pandemic. Almost half (47%) of the organizations reported that anticipate that more than 20% of their staff will primarily work from home even a year after the pandemic ends.
The Top 10 jobs that will see the largest permanent increase in remote working
The analysis reported the top 10 professions that are seeing the largest increase in full-time teleworker positions. By taking a look at pre-2020 remote work trends, the authors showed that most acceleration occurred in high skilled white-collar occupations.
Ladders put a list together of the top 10 roles that are seeing the largest increase in permanent remote working and how you can get hired in one of them now based on its database of $100K jobs.
1. Computer and mathematical jobs
Computer-related occupations were the fastest growing in terms of the share of full-time teleworkers across occupations. Computer-related jobs is an extremely broad category, and can range anywhere from a data security analyst to a web developer to a computer hardware engineer.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistic’s website, the states with the highest employment level in this occupation are California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Virginia. The good news for those not in those states is that, according to the analysis, 9.2% of computer and mathematical jobs are remote positions.
Take a look at some current open computer and mathematical jobs:
- Senior BI Report Writer at Safety National Casualty Corporation in Saint Louis, Missouri
- Senior Staff Engineer of Content Application Security at The Walt Disney Company in Burbank, California
- Demand Generation Manager of Lifecycle Marketing at Snowflake Computing In San Mateo, California
- Computer Scientist at Latent AI in Princeton, New Jersey
- JAVA Computer Scientist at Parsons in Columbia, Maryland
2. Business and financial operations jobs
In 2018, 7.2% of business and financial operations jobs were remote positions. Often lucrative positions, employment of business and financial operations jobs is projected to grow 7% from 2018 to 2028, which is faster than the average for all occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
“Globalization, a growing economy, and a complex tax and regulatory environment are expected to continue to lead to strong demand for accountants and auditors,” the Bureau of Labor Statistic’s website reported.
“In addition, increasing usage of data and market research in order to understand customers and product demand, and to evaluate marketing strategies, will lead to growing demand for market research analysts.”
Take a look at a few current open business and financial operations jobs :
- Chief Financial Officer at Taylor White in Clearwater, Florida
- Financial Systems Professional at Taylor White in Clearwater, Florida
- Senior Corporate Accountant at Genpact Limited in Stamford, Connecticut
- Senior Strategy Manager of Cost of Acquisition & Retention at TELUS Corporation in Toronto, Ontario
- Finance Business Manager at Sanmina Corporation in Huntsville, Alabama
3. Arts, design, entertainment, sports and media jobs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistic’s website, the states with the highest employment level in this occupation group are California, New York, Texas, Florida, and Illinois. The good news for those not in those states is that, according to the analysis, 6% of jobs in the arts, design, entertainment, sports and media are remote positions.
Take a look at some open arts, design, entertainment, sports and media jobs:
- Design Director at Hook Studios in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Manager of Email Marketing at Discovery Communications in New York, New York
- Vice President of Programming at iHeartMedia in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Art Outsource Manager at First Contact Entertainment in Santa Monica, California
- Show Director of CNBC The News at NBC Universal in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
4. Management jobs
Employment of management occupations is projected to grow 7% from 2018 to 2028, which is faster than the average for all occupations. The growth comes largely from the formation of new organizations and expansion of existing ones, which will likely require more workers to manage these operations.
Take a look at some current open management roles:
- Program Manager at Neal Analytics in Redmond, Washington
- Federal Energy Management Program at ORAU in Washington, D.C.
- Project Administrator at Honeywell in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Technical Project Manager at IQ Inc. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Client Project Manager at TELUS Corporation in Montreal, Quebec
5. Sales jobs
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projected that sales occupations will see little or no change in demand from 2018 to 2028. The Bureau predicts that sales workers in services and wholesale sectors will continue to be in demand due to their important role in building and maintaining customer bases for businesses.
The increase in remote opportunities in sales may be due to the rise in E-commerce, which on the other hand will depress employment growth in the retail sector where the number of cashiers is projected to decline slightly.
Take a look at five sales jobs that are currently open:
- Sales Manager of Cable Management at Milliken & Company in Spartanburg, South Carolina
- Insurance Sales & Marketing Executive at The Carlisle Group in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Sales Representative at Reynolds & Reynolds in Dayton, Ohio
- Outside Sales Representative at Window Nation in Lorton, Virginia
- Director of Channel Sales at Goldstone Partners in Broomfield, Colorado
6. Healthcare support and personal care
Healthcare support occupations include roles such as support and personal care professionals, while healthcare practitioners and technical occupations include roles like registered nurses, physicians and surgeons, and dental hygienists.
Healthcare occupations are projected to add more jobs than any of the other occupational groups, mainly due to an aging population which is leading to greater demand for healthcare services.
Take a look at some current available healthcare positions:
- Nurse / RN Manager at HMHagency in Neptune, New Jersey
- RN Nurse Manager at Atrium Health in Charlotte, North Carolina
- RN Executive Director of Home Care eat VTS in New York, New York
- Physician at Landmark Health in Manchester, New Hampshire
- Director of Nursing at ACADIA Pharmaceuticals in Calistoga, California
7. Legal jobs
The employment of legal occupations is projected to grow 7% from 2018 to 2028. As law firms continue to increase the efficiency of legal services and look to reduce their costs, it is expected that there will be strong demand for paralegals and legal assistants.
Take a look at legal roles that are currently available now:
- Technology Transactions Attorney Director at PWC in New York, New York
- Senior Patent Prosecution & Portfolio Counseling Patent Agent at Perkins Coie LLP in Boise, Idaho
- Commercial Audit Manager at Baker Tilly in Melville, New York
- Labor and Employment Attorney at Fox Rothschild in Denver, Colorado
- Intellectual Property Litigation Associate at Ballard Spahr LLP in Atlanta, Georgia
8. Community and social services jobs
Community and social service jobs include social workers, counselors, and religious workers. The employment of community and social service occupations is projected to grow 11% from 2018 to 2028, which is much faster than the average for all occupations, adding about 306,200 jobs.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, most of the projected new jobs in this occupational group are in the counselor and social worker occupations, as their services will continue to be needed in areas such as drug abuse counseling and rehabilitation counseling as well as school and career counseling.
Take a look at some open community and social services roles:
- Deputy Budget Director at Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California
- Senior Contract Administration Manager at Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California
- Public Health Administrator (Communicable Disease) for the City of San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas
- Chief Talent Officer at Uncommon Schools in New York, New York
- Program Director at Catholic Charities Archdiocese Of New Orleans in New Orleans, LA
9. Life, physical and social science jobs
Employment of life, physical, and social science roles is projected to grow 7% from 2018 to 2028 due to increasing demand for expertise in the sciences, particularly in occupations involved in biomedical research, psychology, energy management, and environmental protection.
Take a look at some current life, physical and social science jobs:
- Sports Medicine Physician at Cook Children’s Healthcare in Prosper, Texas
- Political Affairs Officer at United Nations in New York, New York
- Psychologist at Wellpath in Aurora, Colorado
- Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon at Mayo Clinic in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Director of Sports Medicine at Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi
10. Architecture and engineering jobs
Employment of architecture and engineering occupations is projected to grow 4% from 2018 to 2028, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations.
A majority of the projected job growth in this group is in the engineer occupations, as they will be needed in various areas like the rebuilding of infrastructure, renewable energy, oil and gas extraction, and robotics.
Take a look at some open architecture and engineering jobs:
- RAM Engineer at VTS in Portsmouth, Rhode Island
- Structural Engineer at Randstad Technologies in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Construction Project Manager at BH Properties in Los Angeles, California
- Civil Engineer at Coffman Engineers, Inc in San Diego, California
- Senior Mechanical Engineer at TLC Engineering for Architecture in New Orleans, Louisiana
Jennifer Fabiano is an SEO reporter at Ladders.